Beer Log

About the Brewer

A designer by day, Dave Shea makes beer too. While no one would expect this stuff to win awards, it is at least getting drinkable.

047 – Scattershot Double IPA x3

With an annual holiday tradition just barely missed (039, 032, 021, 004), a bunch of hops in the freezer and a general dissatisfaction with the last two batches (043, 044) I thought I’d give this recipe another crack.

Photo 2015-01-26, 20 43 58

The hops seemed pretty solid, but between the fermentation issues and more caramel malt than I should have used, I decided to go super light on the malt. I’m also working on a theory that Citra is contributing more sweetness than it ought to, so I cut back on that a lot.

I also thought I’d try to keep my Therminator clear on this batch by adjusting my additions. Instead of a 60m bittering addition I moved that up to mash hopping, and instead of late additions I did a 30m post-boil hop stand in a bag so I could remove before draining the kettle. Which meant a hop-free boil, which felt a little weird.

Aiming for a 149F mash temp, I mashed in intentionally lower than the previous two batches, which led to almost a perfect 149 average through the entire hour. The wort tasted a bit starchy and didn’t quite pass the iodine test at the end, but seemed close enough.

Very narrow 3 degree range for most of the mash.

Very narrow 3 degree range for most of the mash.

Fermentation was quick, after two weeks I was down to a lower-than-expected 1.005. Even at that gravity a big krausen lingered and wouldn’t drop, so I had to risk some diacetyl by cold-crashing; worked okay, no perceived diacetyl in the finished beer.

On racking I tried out a new trick I’d read on the local forums: siphon into a quick-disconnect attached to the out valve of a purged corny keg to minimize oxygen pickup. Went a bit slower than normal, but it worked extremely well. Which makes me think the slight oxygen I got off this batch when fresh might have come from the 5oz dry hops I threw into the keg; it seemed to go away with a bit of time, but I think I might switch back to almost-finished fermentation as the time I’ll throw in the dry hops in future batches.

Favourite recent tradition: roach pour of the beer stuck in the dry hops after removing them from the keg.

Favourite recent tradition: roach pour of the beer stuck in the dry hops after removing them from the keg.

The Recipe

  • 8.75lbs 2-row
  • 0.25lb wheat
  • 1.3lb dextrose
  • 6.1oz Columbus
  • 4.5oz Simcoe
  • 3oz Mosaic
  • 3oz Centennial
  • 1.5oz Citra
  • 1056

The Numbers

  • Brewed: 11 Jan 2015
  • Boil length: 60 mins
  • Batch Size: 6 gallons
  • Boil Size: 5 gallons
  • Primary: 15d
  • Secondary: —
  • Target OG: 1.072
  • Target FG: 1.012
  • OG: 1.067
  • FG: 1.005
  • ABV: 8.3%
  • IBU: 77
  • SRM: 4

The Result

I think I’m over-complicating the hops on this recipe. What started as an initial sweetness cut into any complexity I might have been getting. With time it faded into something a little spicier and more interesting, but this was never amazing.

The lack of boil hops wasn’t a problem; it was plenty bitter and balanced, and the aroma was pretty large, if not amazing. After two months enough hop aroma had faded that a bit of DMS from the longer hop stand started creeping back in.

A bit of starchy graininess plagued this batch too; I suspect the lack of conversion at 60m has something to do with that, but a few conversations have also pointed the finger in the direction of the maltster (Gambrinus). I’m pretty sure it was the former, especially considering the next batch.

Overall this one was a 6/10. A few pours were good, but it was mostly disappointing.

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/yorq6fgakkgm/domains/ on line 405

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *